ABOUT THIS STUDIO
Bombay Duck Designs (BDD) is an independent studio founded by Indian illustrator & visual artist, Sameer Kulavoor.
Kulavoor’s area of work lies at the intersection of graphic design, contemporary illustration and art. He has been creating a personal body of work, and self-publishing art books and zines that take a look at characteristic mannerisms & archetypal facets of urban surroundings, design and culture. Sidewalks & Coffeeshops (2009), Zeroxwallah Zine (2011), The Ghoda Cycle Project (2012), Blued (2013) & Oh Flip (flipbooks, 2013) were born out of a keen interest in these peculiarities.
BDD’s image-making approach coupled with a wide arsenal of tools, methods and mediums have worked well for music & cultural projects, publications, exhibits, motion graphics, animation, advertising and editorials. It is the earliest ‘specialized’ independent studio of its kind in India.
He is the co-founder and co-curator of 100%ZINE.
• 2016 & 2015 – GQ 50 most influential men for two consecutive years
• 2016 – Solo show called ‘Please Have A Seat’ exhibited in Mumbai
• 2014 – Won the Kyoorius & DNAD Black Elephant for BLUED Book
• 2014 & 2015 – Featured on Nike hoardings and in a Bacardi TVC as an influencer
• 2014 – Interviewed by New Zealands national ‘Radio NZ’ for his mural in Auckland – The Great North Road Mural.
• 2013 – Collaborated with Sir Paul Smith and released The Ghoda Cycle Project on T-shirts worldwide
• 2012 – Exhibited The Ghoda Cycle Project at the Bicycle Film Festival in Helsinki • 2012 & 2013 – Featured on It’s Nice That – one of the worlds foremost design blogs